- Peel and chop the onions
- Sweat the onions in a saucepan with a little olive oil
- Peel and chop the tomatoes, then add them to the onions
- Cook for 10 minutes
- While the onions and tomatoes are cooking, make the bouquet garni by tying the thyme, bay leaves, parsley stems, and a few pieces of celery.
- Add the bouquet garni, salt, pepper, and sugar, and let cook for 20 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally
- Remove the bouquet garni and blend in a blender or food mill
- Fill the rinsed jars to within 2 cm (around an inch) of the rim
- Clean the edges of the jars and screw on the lids
- Place the jars in a large Dutch oven, cover with 5 cm (2 inches) of water, and heat for 1 hour at 100°C (212°F)
- 2 onions
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) ripe tomatoes
- Bouquet garni: thyme, bay leaves, parsley stems, celery sticks
- Sugar, salt, and pepper
Why cook in a Dutch Oven?
Dutch ovens are ideal for slow cooked, simmered dishes. You can use the in the oven as well as the stovetop, and they will keep your meal warm when served at table.
Why cook with a stockpot?
A stockpot is so versatile it can be useful in many situations, especially if you need to cook large quantities. With its two sturdy handles it's easier to carry.
Share this recipe
Other recipes for you
Here are some recipes you might also like