Endive and orange floating islands
- Cut the zest of the citrus fruits into extremely thin strips.
- Bring 50 cl (2 cups) of water to a boil with 250 g (2 cups) of sugar
- Chop the onion finely, then sweat in olive oil.
- Add the onions and zests to the sugar and water mixture and cook gently for 20 minutes until they turn to confit.
- Peel and chop the onion
- Remove the outer leaves from the endives and use a sharp knife to cut out the bottom of the cores. Chop the remaining leaves and drizzle them with the juice of a lemon.
- Heat the duck fat in the pressure cooker, then sweat the onion and endives. Add the sugar then pour in the stock.
- Close the lid with the regulator and heat the cooker . When the steam starts to escape, lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pressure cooker from the heat. Depressurize before opening.
- Add the cream, close the lid with the regulator and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Use a blender or mortar to grind the porcini mushrooms into a powder.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff, then mix in some of the porcini powder.
- Use two soup spoons to create 6 quenelles (egg-shaped dumplings). Poach them in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes, turning them over after 2 and 1/2 minutes. Use a skimmer to remove and place the dumplings on a cloth.
- Remove the pressure cooker from the heat. Depressurize before opening, then blend the contents of the cooker.
- Season as needed
- Serve the creamy soup in a soup plate with a floating island, and a small spoonful of the citrus confit. Sprinkle the egg whites with a little porcini powder.
For the soup
- 6 endives
- 1 large onion
- 10 cl (2/5 cup) dry white wine
- 75 cl (3 cups) chicken stock
- 10 cl (2/5 cup) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp duck fat or olive oil
- 1 pinch of Espelette pepper
- 2 pinches of sugar
- 1 lemon
- Salt, pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 5 g (0.2 oz) dried porcini mushrooms
For the citrus confit
- ¼ of a grapefruit peel
- ¼ of an orange peel
- 1 white onion
- 250 g (9 oz) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Share this recipe
Other recipes for you
Here are some recipes you might also like