Creamy butternut squash soup with mussels
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into large cubes. Peel and chop the onion.
- Sweat the onions and butternut squash in a Dutch oven with a pat of butter.
- Add the crushed garlic clove and cover with water or white stock.
- Add the saffron and the bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme, and celery stalk).
- Cook until tender.
- Blend the soup and season as needed.
The tapioca pearls:
- Cook the tapioca pearls in a saucepan of boiling water over low heat for the amount of time indicated on the package.
- Wash them well.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a covered saucepan. Add the mussels and a splash of white wine and cook until the mussels open. Once they open, remove the shells but keep some of them for decoration.
- Pour the soup into a warm soup plate, add a spoonful of tapioca pearls, a spoonful of heavy cream, and finally the mussels.
- Top with freshly ground pepper.
- Serve at once.
- 1 butternut squash or pumpkin
- 18 Bouchot mussels
- 10 cl (2/5 cup) white wine
- 4 tbsp tapioca pearls
- 30 cl (1 and 1/4 cups) heavy cream
- 30 g (2 tbsp) butter
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp saffron powder
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Salt, pepper
Why cook in a Dutch Oven?
Dutch ovens are ideal for slow cooked, simmered dishes. You can use the in the oven as well as the stovetop, and they will keep your meal warm when served at table.
Share this recipe
Other recipes for you
Here are some recipes you might also like